The Capitol Area Breastfeeding Coalition is a team of breastfeeding professionals, LCs, RNs, La Leche League leaders and breastfeeding advocates in the Mid-Michigan / Lansing, Michigan area. This group formed to better serve and support breastfeeding mothers via education, advocacy and resource support.The goal is to increase the number and duration of women in the Lansing, Michigan area who initiate and continue exclusive breastfeeding through the recommended time period.
If you need breastfeeding support, education or help, click on our Capitol Area Breastfeeding Resources list. This list will help you locate breastfeeding support counselors, lactation consultants, free breastfeeding support via mother-to-mother support groups, online breastfeeding resources that have trusted, medically accurate information and more. You can find support and help for breastfeeding right here in Lansing or East Lansing and the surrounding communities of Grand Ledge, Holt, DeWitt, Williamston, Haslett and Okemos. This guide is available for download by doctor’s office, OB/GYN offices and other health care professionals to distribute to their patients.
Initiatives of the Coalition:
- Improve the state of breastfeeding in Mid-Michigan by:
- Working to support pending legislation that will make breastfeeding in public a mother’s civil right
- Hosting breastfeeding and baby-friendly spaces at local festivals and events to offer mothers and children a place to relax, feed & gather
- Developing a kit for doctors to educate their expecting patients about breastfeeding
- Development of a statewide Breastfeeding Coalition web site that would distribute accurate information about local breastfeeding resources to parents who might search the web to find them
- Foster a culture where all babies in Michigan are breastfed happily, successfully and with support.
Who should join the coalition:
Health professionals, community health advocates, breastfeeding advocates, activists, legislators, parents.
We meet monthly (see right for event calendar.) Meetings include dinner (and wine) and young children are welcome, please contact us via our Facebook page if you need childcare.